A REMARKABLE LECTURE
A fishmonger at Preston last week gave a lecture in the theatre on “Oysters”. Being an wholly uneducated man the lecture promised great fun and the crowded audience was not disappointed. He had little else to say except that oysters were “the strongest thing a man could eat,” and they were to be sure and get them fresh and not take vinegar with them. The scene was of the most ludicrous and boisterous description.
ACCIDENTS AND OFFENCES
• Mr Isaac Moses, a Jew of immense wealth, committed suicide last week by cutting his throat in the garden of an inn.
• A member of the 3rd Roxburghshire Rifle Corps named Maxwell was returning from practice, near Melrose, when he met a girl named Rutherford, to whom he playfully raised his musket and drew the trigger, believing the deadly instrument to be unloaded. The shot entered the poor girls mouth, shattered some of her teeth, and passed through the cheek below the ear. It is hoped that she will recover.
• No little excitement has been created at Stratford New-Town from the fact of a married man eloping with a married lady. The parties were traced to Norwich. During the past week, an effigy of the man has been paraded through the streets, preceded by a band, and followed by hundreds of persons. The excitement still prevails.
ANOTHER DEATH THROUGH CRINOLINE
On Wednesday evening an inquest was held by Mr Brent, at the Castle Tavern, Holloway-road, on the body of Miss Ann Maria Amelia Carter, aged 25, who lost her life by fire through the ignition of her dress by extended crinoline.
It appeared that about three o’clock on Sunday afternoon, October 6, Mr French, an invalid, was lying on a sofa in the room, when the deceased entered and stood with her back towards the fire. Suddenly she uttered a piercing scream, when the invalid gentleman saw the back of her dress in flames. She then threw herself upon the ground, and he endeavoured to suppress the flames, but his efforts were fruitless.
He then ran into an adjoining bed-room for the purpose of getting something in which to envelope the unfortunate young lady, but, unfortunately, before he could return to her she had run down two pairs of stairs.
Her father, mother, and brother then attempted to extinguish the fire, which had by that time nearly consumed the muslin dress, which was set out with extensive hoops. Each of those relatives, as well as Mr French, in their attempts were severely burned
The poor young lady’s back, neck, face, and arms were most seriously burned, the latter almost to a cinder. She lingered in a state of suffering till two o’clock on the following morning, when she died.
The Jury returned a verdict of accidental death, but strongly recommended that, from the numerous fatalities which had occurred in all classes of female society, such a fashion should be immediately abandoned. The Coroner agreed with the Jury, and thought that, at least in the house, such acquirements of dress might be dispensed with.