6th October 1861


On Sunday, a man’s skull was discovered about two feet from the surface, in a bank beside the Keltie Burn, about a mile above Callander-bridge. There were many rumours regarding it until Wednesday, when the procurator-fiscal from Dunblane got it dug up, and declared it to be the remains of a person named Green Colin, who was in olden times chief of the clan called the Bochastle Clan, and must have lain there for nearly two hundred years.

The story relating to the chief’s death says he went to Auchlishia and demanded to see the titles of the possessor, Mr Buchanan. The latter said he would show them, and in an instant got up and took down a large two-edged sword hanging from the roof, and said that was his title. The next demand of the chief was to get it into his possession, but Buchanan cleaved him to the ground with it by a stroke on the side of the head.

The rut from the blow can be seen on the skull, which has been taken to the Edinburgh museum.


At Stafford, on Sunday morning, a party of from thirty to forty lunatics were, as usual, taken for a walk by the keepers of the county asylum, along the Weston-road. Whilst the party were passing through the Littleworth toll-gate, one of the lunatics got into the house, the door of which he immediately locked. Finding himself alone in the house with the wife of the toll collector and two little children, he went to the fire-place and caught up the tongs, intending to murder the children.

The keepers, whose attention had been called to what had occurred by the screams of the wife of the toll collector, burst in and, seizing the madman, removed him to the asylum.


On Thursday evening, an inquiry was held into the death of a child ten months old, named Mary Ann Western, whose parents reside at 30, Charles-street, Edgware-road.

William Western, the father, deposed that he was a wheelwright, and on his return home from work on the night of the 23rd inst, at about eleven o’clock, his attention was attracted to the child, who was head downwards in a pail of water by the bed, dead. His wife and another child were asleep in the bed.

Mr Jeffs, surgeon, deposed that on a post-mortem examination, he did not find any of the usual symptoms of drowning, and believed the child was dead before it got into the pail, most probably from convulsions, yet he did not see how the child could have rolled from the bed into the pail.

Other evidence mainly went to prove that the mother was not sober; that the child always appeared healthy; and that no one in the family, the mother included, was aware of what had occurred until awoken by the cries of the father.

Verdict, “Death from Natural Causes, but how the child got into the pail there is no evidence to prove.”

The learned deputy-coroner then severely reprimanded the mother for drunkenness, and the strange proceedings were brought to a close.


An inquest was held on Monday last on the body of Mrs Harriet Beagley, wife of Mr G Beagley, of the Crown inn, Spital, near Windsor, whose death was caused through her crinoline coming in contact with a burning ember while she was putting some greens in the pot to boil. Deceased was twenty-nine years of age, and had been married only seven weeks.

The deceased was extensively burnt all over the body, her clothes reduced to cinders, except the band of her petticoat, her stays and the frame of her crinoline.

Verdict, “Accidental death.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s